[dev] Hello !

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Jeu 2 Aou 01:16:19 CEST 2012

G'day

sorry for the delay to check the translation. Thanks for your work, it's
really a great quality translation. I have modified the following things:

- I have replaced french quotations marks (« and ») by english ones (")

- I have reformatted the text to follow the same format as the original
one (replaced "*" by "-", joined cut lines, put 4 spaces for second
level indentations). I guess the original format has been broken by
Etherpad.

- it's the first time I see "she" for a third person neutral pronoun.
According to wiktionary ( http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/she ) it's non
standard but here to avoid sexism. I really don't think using "him" as
neutral pronoun is sexist, but I think this question can be discussed,
and I have nothing against letting "she", so I let this and I'm waiting
for any comment.

- I have let the spaces before double punctuation marks (like !): but
usually it's done like this in French, but not in English. Maybe it
would be better to remove the spaces, I'm not sure.

- I have replaced indence by indecency and added the forgotten "we"
before "will never had the indecency".

- I have replaced "a property of the project" by "our property": the
contract is a contract between people working on the project and users,
I think it's important to show the personification and that the goal is
not to make personal profit of the data

- I have replaced decentralization by decentralisation to follow the
classical english spelling (decentralization is US spelling).

- changed resilience for resistance: this word is stronger and has a
long history behind it. I think it suit better here

- changed authoritarian tendencies for authoritatarian shifts. I'm
hesitating for this change, but I think "tendencies" is too weak.

- replaced "geographical reasons" by "geographical location"

- I didn't know the expression "any other ground", but I guess it's
good, so I haven't touched it.

-  replaced "Human Fraternity" by "Fraternity". I think it's not
necessary to specify "Human", and I wanted to globally remind the motto
"Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité" (not because it's the French - and
Haitian - motto, but because of its revolutionary origins, and because I
think it's magnificent and should be reminded more often).

Of course all of theses changes are open to discussion. I have committed
the resulting translation under the name "CONTRAT_SOCIAL_en" (the
original name, followed by _ and the 2 letter ISO 639 language code). I
don't translated the filename to facilitate access by softwares (we just
need to know the 2 letters language code to show the right version), and
to remind the French version is the reference one (for the same reason
as English GPL version is the reference one: you can loose meaning by
translating something). The commit was done with your name and e-mail
address (Matthieu Rakotojaona <matthieu.rakotojaona at gmail.com>), and I
have of course added you to contributors list in the README (I'll
probably have a separate contributors file somewhere in the future).

Thanks again for your great work.

Cheers
Goffi

PS: if the translation is not yet available on the website when you read
this e-mail, it should be soon.