[dev] [en] ideas for the rich text editor?

Adrien souliane at mailoo.org
Dim 29 Sep 16:53:36 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 09/29/2013 04:14 AM, Matteo Cypriani wrote:

> 1. I'm wondering what is the behaviour of the lines “To” and friends when they
> contain a lot of recipients. I think maybe it would be better to avoid fixed-
> length fields and instead print the addresses as text all together.

Hi, yes that sounds better. First I wanted to keep the ListBox for the
user to eventually modify it later (and didn't manage to make the size
fit the selected value!), but in the end I set it inactive; in that case
there's no more reason to keep the ListBox.

> 2. What will happen when the user starts typing a message in a given format
> (say markdown) and then selects another format (say bbcode). Will the text
> typed be converted from markdown to bbcode? Wouldn't it be simpler to ask the
> user for a format in the beginning and not allow it to be changed after that?

My plan was to convert it when another format is set, but as you and
Goffi suggested, we can fix it using a standard parameter.

On 09/29/2013 01:23 PM, Goffi wrote:> G'day,

 > - in my opinion, the rich text panel should not be in a popup, but
 > replace the UniBox. This way there should not be confusion, and you
 > can use Drag'n'Drop more easily.

In that case shouldn't we reorganize the components?

___menubar_____________________________
Contacts|_________unibox_______________
         |_________status_______________

         |         dialogs

Otherwise you would hide the contacts when the rich text panel is
displayed. If we do like that, we just need to replace one widget by
another, also remove the button "back to the quick box" but keep the
icon to switch back.

 > - I think we should not use regex, but the many already available
 > libraries for each syntax, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Sure! I didn't search for these libraries :p But if it doesn't exist I
need to do it at least for DokuWiki in order to import my current blog
to SŕT :)

 > I can manage the XEP-0071 and the syntaxes converter, so you can
 > concentrate on the UI part.

Ok :)

Regards,
Adrien